Monday, October 31, 2011

AND THE WINNER IS...

      Hey Readers today is the day that all of you have been waiting for! Yup that's right, it's time to announce the November winner of my "Design My Blog" contest! For those of you that don't know, I started this contest as a way to let artists of all styles unleash their creative juices in a way that would help me create a cool logo for my site. So by word of mouth and Twitter posts here you go!

      This month (being the first month of this contest), the winning logo was drawn by Becky over at   http://www.365daysofdrawing.co.uk/ or @365DOD on Twitter. She does a daily cartoon about whatever comes to her mind. The premise is simple... she does 1 drawing a day for 365 days...that's it! it's brilliant! I kind of wish I had thought of something like that...but that takes a special kind of dedication, and to be perfectly honest I don't always have the time to do my once a week post for you lovely people! She does it though, and I really like them. They have a child like whimsy with an adult (without being rude) sense of humor. At the same time though, it is something that kids could look at without parents being offended. Here's an example involving Batman...



Batman: Arkham City
This post is in honour of the game my boyfriend has been waiting for forever. It's finally released today and he's managed not to explode with impatience. I think it's only right that I now celebrate Batman in all his batish glory. 

Thinking of a post got me wondering what the real Batman would be like. He's the gadget superhero who has a weapon for every eventuality. For example, once, Batman and Robin were chasing a boat in the Batcopter. Batman decides to climb down the Batcopter's Bat Ladder and jump onto the boat. He gets to the end of the ladder and the boat disappears (a clear sign that he needs to get back on his meds). Robin, the big dork, keeps lowering Batman into the ocean like he's some sort of Bat Tea Bag. At which point an over sexed Great White takes a fancy to Batman's leg and mouth humps him. It's ok though. Batman has just the gadget for this problem in the Batcopter. Cue Robin throwing him some Bat Shark Repellant, and the amorous fish is defeated.

Seriously it's all true. Google it if you don't believe me. In fact I'll make it easy for you, here's the link. Impressive eh?

I started considering what it would be like if Batman really had to carry all his gadget crap around with him. Obviously he doesn't because he's super rich with many vehicles to store stuff in; he has hiding places around Gotham for his equipment; he has plenty of superhero friends to help him and, oh yeah, he's not real.

But what if he was?




   
         See what I mean they are pretty good and very clever for a few lines of dialogue. I stumbled across her site one day when I was browsing the inter-webs and I was intrigued so I asked her to take a look at my contest and give it a shot. She was more than happy to oblige, and as stated in the "rules" she had to answer some questions. Here they are.


Name: Becky

Age: 30

Where you live: The land of tea and rain (England, UK)

When did you start blogging and what inspired you to do it? 

I posted my first blog post on 13th September 2011 after 6 months of major procrastination. 
My boyfriend and friends kept trying to encourage me to put my pictures online. It was only when I started looking at similar blogs that I got the courage up to say 'sod it, let's get this blog started'.

Out of all the blogs you've written, which one would you say you're most proud of and which one is your favorite? 

The post I'm most proud of is Revenge Of The Guitars. I had the idea for ages but kept putting it off because I couldn't draw it. I finally gave in and just went for it. I think it turned out pretty well. It's certainly no Picasso but it gets the point across.
My favorite post is Strange Behavior because it makes me laugh. I know you shouldn't laugh at your own jokes but life's too short not to. 

Where do you see yourself (in relation to your blog life) in 2 and 3/4 years from now? (thats 2 and 3 quarters, gotta be random)

 That's a tricky one because the blog is only 365 days of drawing so if I was still doing it in 2 3/4 years it'd be 1005 days of drawing. If people keep coming to the blog and I can think up ideas then I'll probably keep going with it after the 365th drawing. It would be selfish to build up a fan base over a year then say "right I'm done go away now!" 
My ultimate goal is draw humorous multi page comics with recurring characters, but they take much longer than a day to do so that's on the back burner at the moment. Oh yeah, and my drawing still needs some polishing.

What did you think of this contest process and will you tell others about it?

 I think it was a really good idea to open up the design aspect of your page to people. I'll certainly tell other people about it if I win, but even if I don't I'll still post the penguin picture on my blog and explain why it's there. Either way it's a day off from drawing.

What is the last thing you want to be known for saying or doing or both?

 I'd love to be known for my humor but failing that I'd be happy being a contender for The World's Fastest Chocolate Cake Eater. Can that be your next competition? I'd rock your socks off.

Lastly, do you have any questions for me? 

Yes, when is the chocolate cake competition happening? Seriously though, do you have any more competitions coming up in the near future?Oh and I guess more lastlier (lol) is there anything else you want to tell my readers, which will probably soon be your readers soon?

 All new readers are very welcome over at 365, and comments are always cool. Can I also say a quick thank you to my Twitter and Facebook fans, my Army of Assassins (Followers) and anyone else who reads the blog. If it weren't for you guys the site would have tumble weeds rolling across it right now.


To answer your question Becky, at the time I am currently working on a time travel competition. Yeah, you heard me. The first person to travel back to 3 nights ago and stop me from eating the McDonald's burger that gave me the worst case of the "poops"  I've ever had wins my ever lasting love and respect. It may not sound like much but my guts are precious to me and I hate losing them to these battles against late night hunger. So If you're game I'll see you last Thursday!

      Okay so I've kept you in suspense long enough. Here it is for your viewing pleasure. The drawing that won my very first "Design My Blog" contest...


     Thank you Becky!! You are truly AWESOMENISITY personified!! Okay all you artists out there now its your turn. I've already got some entries but I will keep accepting them until the 3rd week of every month! So sign up and email me directly at ThePenguinGazette@gmail.com and use "Design My Blog" in the subject box. I can't wait to see what you come up with! Until next time!

Editor & Chief of The Penguin Gazette,

Rudy
      
P.S. As soon as she receives the package I sent her and she sends me the pictures I will update this post with those pictures!
      

No comments:

Post a Comment