Sunday, September 25, 2011

The SANTANA Experience


Last Wednesday night was one I will not forget for the rest of my life. It was the first time I’ve ever been to a concert experience. I know many of you reading this may be a bit confused as I have written about different shows I’ve been to in the past, but apparently that’s all they were…shows. This my friends was truly an experience worth the 29 year wait. I’m talking about the one and only Carlos Santana!




His music is nothing short of genius and his sound can be recognized within the first few notes of any of his classic songs. I, myself, have wanted to see him live since I was old enough to know what music was, and thanks to a birthday gift I received from my wife, my musical dream has come true. Well, maybe not the real musical dream, that is of course to be as cool as White Gold. Seriously though I would love to be an actual musician myself, but I don’t think I quite have what it takes…you tell me.





Okay, that was a shameless ploy for your attention. Did I get it? Anyways let’s get back to it. First let me explain these seats… 10th row from the stage at Cricket Amphitheatre in San Diego. 10th FRICKIN ROW!!! Plus, we had aisle seats so I really had no one in front of me. I was so close to the stage that I could’ve walked up and given him hi-v (that’s a high five, not aids). This is by far the closest that I have ever been for a show at this venue, and it was definitely worth the price. Which is something I still don’t know, nor do I want to. Secondly, did I mention that I was at the SANTANA CONCERT!!? I was about to witness a legend, nay a musical God, a true performer, and he was going to lay his life down for us in the form of music. I was so grateful to be in his presence and also in the presence of the woman that I love, she made this night even better.

When Santana got on stage, the entire place went…for lack of better words….APE SHIT!!! We all stood as one to pay homage to him with roaring cheers, so loud that I’m sure they were echoed for miles around. It was a noise so deafening, that it vibrated deep within my chest and made my ears ring. If I hadn’t been at a concert…let’s just say that noise might have made me ….ahem….poop. Anyways, he played for at least 2 ½ hours that night. Not enough, but I could listen to him play his entire works, so that doesn’t say much. Between Carlos and all his band mates, who each had solos that where amazing, the night was a complete musical wet dream. There were times that I was on the verge of crying like some little girl at an NKOTB concert. The main difference between them and me, is I’m a grown ass man and Santana actually has talent.

Seeing as how I actually don’t have the words to express everything I felt that night….i’m just gonna go ahead and let the music take you exactly where I was Wednesday night…. ENJOY!!!







Check out these drum solos and be amazed at the stamina. One of these drummers is married to Mr. Santana. See if you can guess who it is...


Did you see that guys legs? He NEVER stopped playing the double pedal. AWESOME!!!


I love how into the beat she got. It was like she was all alone and the only thing she could hear was her heart beat and she wanted us to feel it. Well peeps, I hope you felt everything I did ( I doubt it because I had such a hard time describing it) and until next week I say TTFN! Tune in next week for my review on San Diego Restaurant Week! It's already been interesting and I've only gone to one place so far...just to give you a hint....PISSED!!!

-Editor & Chief of The Penguin Gazette,

Rudy

P.S. I'd love to hear what you think about this topic. Comment below.

P.S.S. I know this one isn’t a wordy one but when you see the videos and the photos…you’ll understand why I used brevity.

3 comments:

  1. Dude, so jealous. I've wanted to see Santana since I was just a kid. Glad you got to soak it up for the rest of us suckers. My music highlights of the week...the 'new' Kooks and Rise Against albums.

    ReplyDelete