Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Banh for MI, Banh for You


So you guys know that I have this addiction right? It's not drinking or drugs, but it is an addiction. I'm addicted to GOOD food! There I said it...I feel a little better. To be more exact I love GOOD, CONVENIENT food. I'm talking about my favorite mobile gems...THE FOOD TRUCK. I have spoke about them before but I have a brand new one for you guys and they go by the name of Hoangie's (pronounced "Who-ong-ee's) and they make some of the best Banh Mi sandwiches I've had in years!

For those that don't know what a Banh Mi is let me hip you to some wiki knowledge...

Bánh mì or bánh mỳ (English pronunciation: /ˈbʌn ˌmiː/, Vietnamese pronunciation: [ɓǎɲ mî]) is a Vietnamese term for all kinds of bread. Bread, or more specifically the baguette, was introduced by the French during its colonial period. The bread most commonly found in Vietnam is single serve and resembles a torpedo, therefore the term bánh mì is synonymous with this type of bread. The bánh mì is usually more airy than its western counterpart, so as a result, has a thinner crust.
The sandwich made from bánh mì include meat and soy fillings such as steamed, pan-roasted or oven-roasted seasoned pork belly, Vietnamese sausage, grilled pork, grilled pork patties, spreadable pork liver pâté, pork floss, grilled chicken, chicken floss, canned sardines in tomato sauce, soft pork meatballs in tomato sauce, head cheese, fried eggs, and tofu. Accompanying vegetables include fresh cucumber slices, cilantro and pickled carrots and daikon in shredded form. Spicy chili sauce is normally found in bánh mì sold by vendors in Vietnam. In western countries, especially the U.S., the chili sauce has been replaced with sliced jalapeños, a type of chili pepper that is not grown and consumed in Vietnam. In southern Vietnam, homemade mayonnaise is commonly added to the sandwich. Laughing Cow cheese is also a popular filling in Vietnam.
Abroad, bánh mì shops can be found in areas with a Vietnamese immigrant community. The sandwich has become more accepted by mainstream populations in certain urban centers.
Although the term "bánh mì" itself only means bread without any fillings, the term is used to refer to a type of meat-filled sandwich found in Vietnamese bakeries abroad, especially in the US, Canada, Australia, France where there are substantial Vietnamese populations. more.....

These guys are AWESOME! The first night I saw them at Tasty Truck Tuesdays in North Park, I knew it was gonna be love at first bite! I got the "MOO" that is made with some very good quality pepper steak (and a healthy amount too I might add)  inside a airy french baguette, accompanied by a spicy aioli sauce and french butter with pickled daikon radish, carrots, cilantro, sliced jalepenos and cucumber. The sandwich is spicy at first, but the cooling vegetable medley brings it all back to centerand get you ready for the next bite. I usually end up getting extra aioli sauce and some hot sauce because I like spicy stuff, even though my heart burn tells me otherwise. These guys makes some mean egg rolls too, just stuffed with meat and so ridiculously flavorful and not even the least bit greasy. The crunch is great too! I always find myself eating these two things. I will try new things, I will try new things, I WILL TRY NEW THINGS!!!





Side Note: I GET HEART BURN FROM BREATHING SOMETIMES....

Anyways I asked the crew some questions about their business...

1. What are the names of everyone on the truck?

The names of everyone on the truck are Jenny, Michael and Ken. We are all siblings! Jenny being the oldest sibling, then Michael and then Ken. 

2. Who started the truck and who's the owner? 

 We all had ideas about opening a family restaurant over 2 years ago and everyone had equal share of the truck. We are partners.

3. What made you start the truck? 

 We love Banh Mi and we felt that we wanted to represent San Diego in having a Banh Mi food truck.

4. How long have you been making your creations?  

We have made and been eating Banh Mi's all of our lives. Banh Mi is a standard food in our every day diet and we just wanted to share it with everyone!

5. What are some of your signature items and the imspiration behimd them?

Our signature items are the Hoangie Moo which consist of a lean cut of rib eye steak, a Hoangie Oink which is a sweet pork shoulder, a Hoangie Doodle do which is a free ranged white meat chicken breast and a Hoangie Tofu.  Our mom's pork egg rolls are pretty awesome as well!

6. Where do you see your business in the next few years? 

 First and foremost, our primary goal is to satisfy San Diegans with our food and service.  Within the next few years, we hope to either open up a second food truck or even open up a family restaurant introducing our parent's home cooked meals that we were so lucky to have grown up eating everyday.

7. If you had to describe your company in 10 words what would they be?  

  Family, fresh, healthy, delicious, fun, loud, friendly, ambitious, caring, and unique.

If you guys are ever in the San Diego area find these guys...matter of fact....yeah my stomach is rumbling so I am going to take my own advice...I need some MOO in my face...RIGHT NOW!!!

Editor & Chief of The Penguin Gazette,
Rudy

1 comment:

  1. OMG that's my country's food. It's so cool to know that it's becoming more and more popular.

    ReplyDelete